Last year I had the opportunity to attend the Sea Otter Classic in Monterey, California, for the very first time. It was awesome. The weather was perfect, the racing was tough, and the community was amazing. There was only one thing missing. Just like many other cycling events, the women’s participation and attendance was noticeably smaller than that of the men’s.
Apparently, I wasn’t the only one to notice.
This year, the organizers of the Sea Otter Classic wanted to do something about it. Enter Lorri Lee Lown, cycling coach and founder of Velo Girls, the San Francisco Bay Area cycling club.
The coordinator for Sea Otter’s women-specific activities is Lorri Lee Lown, cycling coach and founder of Velo Girls, the San Francisco Bay Area cycling club. Lown, who has been a racer and rider in many of Sea Otter’s events over the past decade, shares Sea Otter’s commitment to a cycling scene that is just as welcoming to novice cyclists, of all interests and abilities, as it is to veterans.
These activities are being led by some very cool women! Check out this list:
- Abbie Durkee of My Alibi Clothing and the Pretty Fast Girls
- Bina Bilenky, Bilenky Cycle Works
- Catharine Pendrel, Luna Sports, current Mountain Bike World Cup leader
- Heather Henderson, Women Specific Product Manager for Trek Bicycles
- Karen Kefauver, Spin City Cycling Columnist for the Santa Cruz Sentinel, mountain biker
- Rachael Lambert, Women’s Product and Marketing Manager, Specialized Bicycles
- Sheila Moon, women’s cycling clothing designer and cyclocross racer
- Tara DelloIacon of Luna Nutrition
- Road Ride
- Mountain Bike Skills Clinic
- Women’s Bike Fit Seminar
- Bike Maintenance and Cleaning Seminar
- Nutrition Seminar
- Women by Design Panel Discussion
There’s also an opportunity to mix and mingle with others at a Wine and Chocolate Reception hosted by Trek Women, followed by a raffle with awesome prizes.